- The tree is native in the Mediterranean region
- It is cultivated for a spice obtained from the seeds inside the cherry stones. The seed has a strong bitter taste that, in parts of the Mediterranean, is dried, ground and used as a spice in breads and pastries.
- Prunus mahaleb is a deciduous Tree growing to 9 m (29ft) by 9 m (29ft).
- Used as a rootstock for the cultivated cherries
- Flowers bloom in mid spring and are pollinated mainly by bees and insects.
- The species is grown as an ornamental tree for its strongly fragrant flowers.